About Milford Baptist Church
A friendly, dynamic and international group of people who are followers of Jesus. We meet during the week in various homes and, of course, on Sundays, in the heart of Milford on Auckland’s North Shore.
- Honouring God
- Expressing His love
- Making followers of Jesus.
We will achieve our mission through Worship, Equipping and Connecting the believers, intentionally Reaching the unchurched and Serving the people of our community.
- Worship God in meaningful life-changing services fuelled by biblical preaching, appropriate music, and personal witness that honours God.
- Equip members to become fully-devoted followers of Jesus through a comprehensive, intentional programme for life change.
- Connect newcomers and members in close relationship through an expanding range of small groups.
- Reach the unchurched people of the North Shore and the world with a vibrant local outreach and global missions programme.
- Serve people with a community-care programme that meets the practical needs of people and families on the North Shore.
- Grounded in the Word of God – For us our authority is the Bible. This means we try to live out its teachings even when these conflict with our personal preferences.
- Guided and empowered by the Holy Spirit – The role of the Holy Spirit in our lives is the advocate and encourager. We aspire to allow him to bring vitality and joy into our worship, and, through his direction and wisdom, guidance for our shared journey.
- Growing through Strong Relationships – We believe that personal growth and development is best done in relationship. This is expressed in many and varied ways in our church life. Small groups, social and community activities, and mentoring and providing a safe place for children and families.
- Eclectic in Worship Style – We aspire to celebrate in worship using the best of the old and tested hymns, and the best of new and contemporary worship songs and styles. Our intergenerational services recognize the need to keep moving and growing with new forms and expressions of worship while not abandoning the rich heritage of yesteryear. We encourage participation, scripture reading, prayers and other creative contributions in our worship services.
- International in Culture and Diversity – We celebrate our diversity of languages and cultures and the growing number of people attending our church from other countries. We see this as a way of celebrating the diversity of Gods kingdom. For those for whom English is not their main language we print Sunday messages in English for them to follow and take with them. Our intention is to be welcoming and inclusive.
The foundation stone of the original church was laid on 12 October 1912 and the church opened on 4 January 1913. The church celebrated it’s Centenary in 2013.
Reverend Lloyd Ashworth
Rev Lloyd Ashworth commenced ministry in the 1980s here on Auckland’s North Shore at Glenfield Baptist Church. He is married to Judy and they have three adult children. Since the 1980s Lloyd has served as pastor of a number of churches in Auckland and Tauranga, and also two interim ministries in the UK in the 1990s. He has been a missions director for International Needs NZ and a residential real estate sales agent. Since returning to pastoral ministry in 2008 he and Judy have lived on the Hibiscus Coast at Whangaparaoa. Lloyd’s other great love is playing music and in particular jazz and swing. Lloyd brings to pastoral ministry a wealth of life experience coupled together with a strong desire to lead a local church into renewal, and kingdom living.
Our church management is led by a Leadership Team who together with the pastor make decisions about church life. The team is elected from the church members and serve for renewable terms. The leadership team meet monthly. On this team are people who have demonstrated leadership gifting for areas of church life including pastoral oversight and administration.
To contact the leadership team email or telephone the church office.
MBC has an active programme supporting Christian workers and organisations around the world.
In 2015 we are supporting:
- A Baptist Church in Aleppo, Syria (Pastor Mouner Al-Aji).
- A child in Tripura, India as part of a Tranzsend project.
- The Baptist Church in Tripura, India, their Mobile Bible School project.
- Development programmes of the Baptist Church in Tripura, India.
- The Churches Education Commission, Auckland, N.Z.
- Reach Beyond and GMTA India radio programmes.
- Mercy Ships, through Mercy ships New Zealand.
- NZ Hospital Chaplaincy (ICHC).
- Pioneers, the Corin family Eastern Europe.
- Prison Fellowship NZ – the Angel Tree programme.
- Tranzsend, the Meyer family, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Tranzsend NZ – General support through our annual Self Denial appeal.
- Faith Bible Centre; Dhaka Bangladesh (Pastor Swapan Bose & Nat. Evans).
Five Year Strategic Directions
- Church Vision Statement – By 2020 The faith community meeting at MBC will be a dynamic, God centred, outward focused community that embraces and integrates people coming to faith and equips them for life.
- Local Mission Vision Statement – By 2020 bringing people to faith in Jesus Christ will be a central part of MBC’s Church life.
- Community Vision Statement – By 2020 MBC Church will be an integral part of the Milford Community.